- Clean the drains. If your kitchen and bathroom sink drains aren’t flowing freely, find out why and get them cleaned before guests arrive. There are simple, do-it-yourself methods homeowners can use to unclog drains.
- Check the toilets. Perform a self-evaluation by asking these questions: Does it take more than one flush? Does it clog frequently? Does the water run continuously? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, now is the time to take care of any malfunctions prior to guests arriving.
- Check your garbage disposal regularly. Remnants of each meal tend to find their way into your garbage disposal, so it’s not uncommon for unseen clogs to cause bad odors or poor performance.
- Inspect your heating system. You pay for every moment your heating system is running, so make sure it’s running efficiently. Check or change your air filters on your furnace.
- Consider a quick facelift for your Bathroom. Give your bathroom a facelift that will add value to your home and increase guest comfort. Fixtures and lighting are a fantastic place to begin.
- Check your smoke alarms. Test all your smoke alarms, replace old batteries and make sure they are properly installed. You should have smoke alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas.
- Think about electrical safety. Don’t overload electrical sockets with multiple extension cords. Also, inspect all your holiday lights before putting them up. Throw away light strands with frayed or pinched wires, and consider using low energy LED Christmas lights which will help lower energy costs.
- Space heater safety. Place space heaters on a level, flat surface and make sure it’s at least three feet away from anything that can burn. Don’t leave them unattended. Rather, switch them off when you leave the room.
“Applying these simple tips will help give you a happier home for the holidays!” While there might be some costs to prepare your home for the holidays, it can give you peace of mind that comes from knowing a task has been done correctly, and your home will be comfortable for your guests!